We want to be your hogan-building gurus, the Go-to guys for anyone wanting help to build a hogan. Best wishes on your project.
HOW TO BUILD A HOGAN FRAME USING E-Z HOGAN BRACKETS AND GOOD STRAIGHT LUMBER
PUT ON HARD HATS, BE TRAINED AND FAMILIAR WITH YOUR TOOLS, AND BE CAREFUL NOT TO GET ANYONE HURT!
1. Level work area.
2. Lay out treated 4×4 base perimeter.
3. Attach E-Z base brackets at corners with lag bolts.
4. Set posts in E-Z base brackets, secure in plumb position and attach with lag bolts.
5. Set E-Z top-of-wall brackets on tops of posts and top-of-wall 4x4s into brackets, check each member for level prior to attachment, lag into place.
6. Support roof center ring on scaffolding.
7. Place rafters into roof center ring and between rafter tabs on top-of-wall brackets, lag into roof center ring.
8. Center roof ring by measuring rafter tail locations or sighting along rafters from corner to corner, then drill and bolt rafters in place between rafter tabs on top-of-wall brackets.
9. Attach intermediate rafters to roof ring and to evenly-spaced points along the top-of-wall 4x4s with long metal straps.
10. Take a break.
11. Frame and brace walls before adding additional weight to roof.
March 31, 2014 Update. Our structural brackets, used to make octagonal buildings, such as the hogan of the Dine’ or Navajo people, are made in the United States of America in Western Colorado. We have provided hogan kits or partial kits to dozens of customers so far and 2013 was our biggest year yet. We expect 2014 to be even bigger. We have several kits in stock and will be making more as needed.
GUARANTEE – your satisfaction with our products is guaranteed. If not satisfied, we’ll trade your money back for the brackets.
Hi, my name is David Royer. I am a Civil Engineer and Land Surveyor in Norwood, Colorado and my company is called San Miguel Engineering.
In October 2002, while driving through the Navajo Nation near Chinle, AZ, I was inspired to start building hogans. Since then, our design has evolved into the post and beam frame using the rigid steel brackets that you see on these pages. Using these brackets with standard 4×4’s and 2x rafters, a crew can put up a strong and versatile eight-sided building frame in a day with much less labor and a better result than other methods I’ve tried or have seen. You then build the walls and roof out of whatever materials you want to use.
Our desire is to provide you with the system to build excellent and intelligent buildings to meet your needs. Please make an order or contact us if you think we have a product that can help you.
A Message From David Royer
May 24, 2008
Over the last few years, I’ve thought about changing the name of our product to something other than EZ Hogan because a number of our customers, and ourselves, have struggled making our homes and buildings. I admit that it isn’t easy to build an eight-sided building unless you have the skills and tools to do it. It is a lot of work no matter how you do it. However, the fastest and easiest way I know of to construct a good eight-sided structural building frame is by using these brackets. Granted, those doing the work need to have basic construction skills, but that is only to be expected to build a structure such as this. Most importantly, the builder must understand and apply the concepts of accurately measuring, leveling, and plumbing the work. That will go further towards making the job go smoothly than anything else. Next is knowing that despite our best efforts, the building won’t be perfectly symmetrical. For one thing, lumber’s not perfectly straight and our work isn’t perfect either. It can, however, be built to acceptable tolerances with reasonable effort.
So what’s my point in all this? With a few basic skills and tools, you can construct a sturdy and cost-efficient building frame with minimal labor. It may or may not be “easy” for you, depending on your construction skills and tools available. It may well pay to hire someone to put it up for you. But many people, usually together with friends and family, can do it themselves. And as far as I know, this method is as easy and as structurally sound as it gets.